Whether you like setting resolutions or not, there is something about the clean slate of the New Year that kicks motivation into higher gear. You’re ready to form new habits and excited to get back on track – mentally and physically. And honestly, I need to focus on something to get me through this first Winter month. My focus this month is getting back to a structured routine which includes early mornings, consistent workouts, and positive habits throughout the workday and evening. Here are 13 (unlucky or the luckiest?) of my favorite products, apps, books, and tips for starting this year off with a bang.
- First and Foremost the Sunrise Alarm Clock. Hooked. From day 1. I know it doesn’t necessarily work for everyone but I absolutely love it. You set it for the time you want to wake up and then 20 minutes prior to that time, the orb gradually turns from a deep red to a bright sunrise. Then at the set time, a noise will also gradually get louder start (for us, it’s birds chirping.) It is supposed to wake your body up more naturally than being startled by a loud alarm clock which makes you feel more awake/refreshed at that time. It also helps that I’ve set it across the room – have to get out of bed to turn it off!
- Waking up and working out (consistently) Using the sunrise alarm clock, I started working out at 6:00am – get it over in the morning and the most “dreadful” task of my day off my to -do list. It’s especially important for me because I really don’t like working out after work…which really means I never do…ever.
- Speaking of working out: two things have made my workout a million times better… 1. Powerbeats 2 Wireless Headphones (thanks, D!) and 2. JUSTIN BIEBER. The headphones are such a luxury – no distractions with the wild bouncing cord, no swatting my phone off the elliptical (causing a scene), no excuse to not do burpees (damn it.) and Justin Bieber’s Purpose…need I say more?
- Podcasts are my jam. While I did listen to Serial, it wasn’t my favorite (you heard me) – here are some of my go-to’s: The Lively Show, So Money with Farnoosh Torabi, The James Altucher Show, and Happier with Gretchen Rubin.
- Sweat with Kayla: I did Kayla Itsines’ Bikini Body Guide before our wedding and now it’s in an even more convenient app form! It’s $19.99/month and worth every penny because it’s the best workout ever.
- SoundCloud: Kygo all day, every day. I listen to playlists made by other people and they make everything better #trophouse
- Headspace: get your om on. Guided meditation that starts with a free 10-day trial.
- Starbucks Cold Cup: this 24oz. monster sits on my desks and encourages me to drink more water than I ever have before. It’s fantastic!
- Squats on bathroom breaks: related to the amount of water consumed (above), I take advantage of my multiple bathroom breaks throughout the day by doing 15-20 squats while I’m there. This feels great and also wakes you up, breaking up a full day of sitting.
- Dry Shampoo: Why am I the last person to the dry shampoo party? Now that I have Batiste Medium Brown (no chalky looking hair for me) it’s a no-brainer.
- Honest Beauty: I’ve finally woken up to all the chemicals that were in the makeup I was using each day. No thank you! I’ve had two bundles delivered so far and love all six of the products I’ve used. I’m also just as hooked on Honest’s Essential Bundles. Who doesn’t love home delivery? Less errands = more time.
- The Miracle Morning: read this book, loved this book. Read my series of posts on this topic here. Confession: December was a rough month for me, but I’ve made some changes to my morning schedule and am getting myself back on track. The morning is the only time you can really control, take advantage!
- Siestas: while I wish I was able to take the Italian Siesta’s we used to, now this means getting up and out for a walk during the day. I’ll get out of the office, walk, read, sometimes get a coffee. I come back refreshed and many times with great ideas.
- Lavender Sleep Spray: I have a new appreciation for the perfectly calming scent it fills the bedroom with right before bed. So relaxing! I’m also considering swapping this spray out for an essential oil diffuser – any recommendations??
- Leaving my phone away from my nightstand: after I spritz my sheets, I put my phone in the bathroom on top of my workout clothes. I can’t stand wasting so much time scrolling thru my phone before bed and in the morning. Nonsensical. Such a waste of time. So see ya later, phone.
- Lemon Witch Hazel: this does wonders for my skin. Used once a week or so, it removes any excess makeup/dirt/whatever else that can clog pores. Before bed, wash your face with a gentle cleanser and then apply with a cotton round – don’t put any lotion on after!
So there you go, some game changers to kick you into high gear this New Year. Hopefully they’ll make you feel better, sleep better, workout better, and enjoy each day a little bit more. And this is the longest post I have ever written…alright alrriiigghhht.